How to Avoid Plagiarism in Research Papers
Writing a research paper requires collecting literature and providing evidence for making your paper stronger. Extracting established ideas and values and adding necessary information in your paper are essential steps, but these need to be done with utmost caution without falling into the trap of plagiarism.
Plagiarism is defined as the unethical practice of using ideas or words (either planned or accidental) of another researcher/author or your own previous work without proper acknowledgment. Researchers involved in plagiarism knowingly or unknowingly face grave consequences which why it is necessary to keep your research work plagiarism-free.
Guard yourself against plagiarism, however accidental it may be. Here are some effective tips to avoid plagiarism.
- To rephrase correctly, it’s important to understand the idea(s) of the reference source.
- Restate the idea in your own words and never copy-paste the text verbatium from the reference paper
If you have taken the content from another paper, it’s vitally essential to indicate the same. The quotes should not be different as they appear in the paper you take them from.
3 Understand what does and does not to be cited
- If you have got words or ideas from another paper, they mandatorily need to be cited.
- Cite Your Own Material – Even if you are citing content from your own previous paper, you must cite yourself or you will fall victim to self-plagiarism.
- Common knowledge or facts need to be cited. If uncertain, include a reference.
4. Manage your citations
Use multiple references for the background literature/information survey. For instance, instead of referencing a review, the individual papers should be cited and referred to.
5 Plagiarism Checkers
- Various plagiarism detection tools such as eBLAST or iThenticate can be used to check for any inadvertent plagiarism.
- Maintain records of the sources you refer to. Use citation software like Reference Manager and EndNote to manage the citations used for the paper
How plagiarism can end your research career has been comprehensibly discussed in this article. This article “How to Avoid Plagiarism in Research Papers” throws light on all the ways to stave off plagiarism.
is a platform to share your story, your experiences as a teacher. Share your story here