Gurugram schoolboy father appeals PM to declare September 8 as 'Child Safety Day'
The father of a seven-year-old student who was killed at a private school in Gurugram's Bhondsi area on September 8 last year has made a plea to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to declare the day as 'Child Safety Day'.
Barun Thakur, the father of the class-2 student, said a child safety baton will be launched on September 8 from the Epic Centre Auditorium at Gurugram to make people aware about the safety of their children.
"This symbolic safety baton will move around India passing through every state capital in order to wake up and stimulate people to work for the sake of children in the country," said Thakur.
He said that the petition to declare September 8 as "Child Safety Day" has been vouched for and recommended by several Members of Parliament. "Safety, security and educational prosperity of a child is a prime concern these days. The parents and guardians across the country must come forward to raise the issues and work for children", he said.
The class-2 student was found dead with his throat slit on the morning of September 8 last year in a private school in Gurugram.
"I have made my humble requests to several parliamentarians and lawmakers including HRD minister Prakash Javadekar to attend the programme on the day," Thakur said.
The CBI, in its charge sheet, had alleged that a teenager had killed the student in a bid to get school examinations postponed and a scheduled parent-teacher meeting cancelled.