Exploring Ways to Find Out Outstanding Research Topic
This article âExploring Ways to Find out Outstanding Research Topicâ suggests innovative ideas, tips and tricks to find the best-suited research topic for you.
A researcher is sure to get perplexed when confronted with a research paper. You want a focused topic that will make a good paper.
Here are some things to consider:
- Choose a topic that is interesting to you. This is how you will make the research process more engaging and fun for you.
- Consider the scope of your topic. Keep in mind that neither your topic should be too broad or too narrow.
- Make sure your topic meets the assignment requirements. Read it closely, in case of doubts never hesitate to take your professorâs feedback.
Once you have come up with a broad topic, below-mentioned strategy for developing a research can help:
- Background research not only helps develop a topic but allow you to change or hone it in more suitable ways. Although this seems like extra work, it is actually a time-saving, prominent step. Once you get a good fix on your topicâs background, you can develop a more effective topic, and hence, research paper.
- Brainstorm concepts. Once you have a topic that interests you, attempt to brainstorm all of the concepts or words you can that might be related to that topic. For instance, if your topic is âpolar bearsâ you may think of the following topics and words in association: cubs, ice, diet, hunting, pollution, and environmental icon.
- Develop a research question. Once you have done some background research and come up with a broad topic, itâs time to develop a research question by doing some in-depth research.
- What's your general approach to the topic? Chew over some general approaches that might assist you further develop your topic: use a geographical angle focusing on a particular part of the world, use a historical angle by focusing on a particular time period or a sociological angle focusing on a particular group of people.
- Research is a dynamic process. Never hesitate to discover new things and refining or modifying your topic.
- Start doing some exploratory, in-depth research. Doing in-depth research is essential, it brings you closer to articles, scholarly books and other sources that you can incorporate into your paper. Based on your findings you can add value, alter or refine your topic.
You will be able to develop your thesis using the topic development process which is fundamentally your proposed answer to your research question. You will then be ready to use the sources you've found, and find more sources in order to support that thesis, or to answer your research question.
Go through an example below to understand how topic development process discussed above can lead you to a thesis:
Resources that can help you develop your topic:
- You instructor, class notes, course readings, Google and Wikipedia will help you garner ideas for broad topics for further, in-depth research using more scholarly resources
If a subject librarian has created a research guide for a particular subject, it will immensely help you choose where to begin your research. These online guides will pick up books, encyclopedias, databases and other materials to help you kick off your research in your chosen academic field. You can also ask a librarian at the Library Service Desk.
Library resources like subject-specific encyclopedias and CQ Researcher can help you come up with subject ideas as they provide great introductions and overviews to topics. You can find links to these kinds of resources in the Research Guides mentioned above. These will probably not be scholarly sources you can use in your paper, but they may lead you to more in-depth, scholarly resources that you will want to use in your paper.
Many researchers make a clean breast of the fact in the middle of their research process that they did not choose the right research topic. Reading this article âExploring ways to find out outstanding research topicâ will help you prevent entangled in a similar situation.