UK schools evacuated over bomb threat emails
The National Crime Agency of UK today launched an investigation after a number of schools across England received threatening emails warning of a bomb attack.
West Midlands Police said the emails are believed to be "false and malicious" as schools across the country were advised to contact local police. "Police are aware of emails circulating to a number of schools in the West Midlands and nationally this morning (Tuesday, May 8) making bomb threats at this stage it is believed they are false and malicious," a West Midlands Police spokesperson said.
"Schools are some of the safest and most secure public spaces with well-rehearsed safety plans in place to deal with a range of emergencies. Staff is highly trained and the well-being of students is their top priority," the spokesperson added. The threats were made to schools in London, Uxbridge, Middlesex, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.
"We are aware of a number of threatening emails being sent to schools and are investigating alongside partners," an NCA statement said. "We understand that these types of emails can be distressing and while we take the communications extremely cautiously, we must stress there is no credible threat. We would ask that anyone receiving such an email contact their local police," the statement said.
Selly Park Technology College in Birmingham for Girls was one of the schools evacuated as a precaution but was later re-opened.
Deputy head-teacher Clinton posted on Twitter: "After evacuating the premises following a threat received this morning to a number of schools, and following advice from the police, we have reopened the school and lessons will continue as normal."
The head-teacher of Uxbridge's Bishopsalt School Police said it had been advised to undertake normal security and safety procedures and reopen after "nothing untoward" was found. In Birmingham, some schools decided to remain shut over the threatening emails.